On Sunday evening, CPR and the Department of Residence Life hosted the second United We Stand Lecturer of the semester. Nationally recognized nutritionist Alexandra Catalano gave a presentation about the importance of taking care of yourself during college. She shared examples of how she struggled with binge eating during college and how that affected her ability to perform in the classroom and have a balanced lifestyle. Rather than pushing a specific diet or radical new workout routine, Alexandra suggested that eating the correct proportions of the major food groups was the fastest way to get healthier. This includes having meat, vegetables, fruits, and dairy in some form with every meal. Rather than cutting out fat like many “experts” have suggested for years, she recommends eating natural fats like those found in dairy, meat, and nuts so that you are full after eating and therefore will be less inclined to snack throughout the day. Her biggest food pet peeve is soda. Soda is full of complex sugars that your body can’t use for energy, but they taste good and are addicting. Throughout the presentation she shared examples of how her clients have had positive change in their life because they began paying attention to what they were eating. Alexandra shared good advice when she stated that we should discipline ourselves in 80 percent of what we eat, so that we can enjoy the other 20 percent of the things we can’t live without. She asked us to think about what we really like about a food. If you like eating a lot of pizza, what do you like most about it? Is it the sauce? If so maybe you could take and put that sauce on some vegetables and make a meal out of that. Everyone in attendance certainly was challenged to rethink what and how they care for themselves through what they eat.
Thank you four west resident Tony for attending this presentation with me. To learn more about Alexandra and her work, check out her website here.
Photo credit: https://www.alexandracatalano.com/